Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Curried Vegetable Burger

Boy, I have got a tasty veggie burger for you all!  We had this a couple weeks ago (and it's taken me that long to blog about it!), but it was so good, even on a full tummy, my mouth is watering a little.  :)  It's the first veggie burger I've made with potatoes and curry in it, and mm-MMM good.  The curry gives it such a nice spicy warmth, and the potato adds a nice texture that we don't usually have in our veggie burgers.

The recipe was taken from http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/278/Curried-Vegetable-Burgers-With91962.shtml

I made a few alterations (as always), but not many.  And because I love it when posts show step by step pictures along the way, I'll will do that for you now.  Well, 4 pictures to be exact.  Not quite step by step, but this recipe is hardly complicated enough to warrant that.  But I do like to know what a recipe looks like at different stages to make sure I'm on the right track, so I'll assume the same for you all. :)

Ingredients:
1lb potatoes
1 flax egg
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 small leeks, chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
non-dairy milk (optional)
salt and pepper

1. Boil the potatoes in water until tender, then drain.  When cool enough to handle, peel and mash them with the egg yolk (or flax egg).

2. Meanwhile, cook the onion slowly in the oil until softened.  Add the garlic, leeks, and carrots, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, adding water if needed to cook without additional oil.
All the veggies sauteing.  I'm kind of obsessed with how leeks look these days.  I think they are gorgeous.

3. Stir in the curry powder for 1 minute.  Mix the curried vegetables and the parsley into the potatoes.  Add a little milk if the mixture seems dry.

Doesn't that look delicious already!

4.  Form mixture into flat cakes.  Put on lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at 375 for roughly 15 minutes on EACH side.  You want a nice golden brown color on both sides.

Prior to baking.

And voile!  A little spicy, warm and tasty dinner!  Generally I like a nice dollop of hummus on my veggie burgers, but this one was so good, I didn't need the hummus!    I like just putting my burgers on a bed of lettuce and tomato, but hubby of course eats his on a bun with fixin's.  :)  You can eat it however you choose. :)



Let me know what you think if you try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment