Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sunflower Lentil Pie and Sesame Mustard Tahini

Here we go.  Finally posting the latest yummy recipes in our lives.  I can take no credit for these, as I pulled them from the yummy Vive le Vegan! cookbook by Dreena Burton.  She has several cookbooks out - I have eat, drink & be vegan and Vive le Vegan!.  I would recommend both, and I'm sure her other books would be just as awesome.

So I tried the Sunflower Lentil Pie and Sesame Mustard Tahini Sauce about two months ago and my husband and I were BOTH instantly hooked.  So yummy.  I cooked it up with a side of pesto couscous and sauteed green beans and we had a really yummy, healthy, and filling meal.




Sunflower-Lentil Pie - my alterations

3/4c brown lentils, washed and picked
1 3/4c water
1 1/2c red onion, roughly chopped (I have used both red and yellow onion just fine)
1c quick oats (I used regular rolled oats and it worked just fine)
1/2c sunflower seeds
1/2c celery (I didn't add)
1 med-large clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp tamari (or Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp vegan Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium high heat, combine lentils and water and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Add the onions, stir through, and let cook for another 10-15 minutes, covered, until lentils are soft and absorbed all the water.  In food processor, combine the lentil mixture, with the remaining ingredients and puree until just smooth, but retaining some texture.  Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled pie plate, and distribute evenly.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned and just firm.  Let stand a few minutes before serving.  (It firms up as it cools.)

My Notes:

  • I have easily doubled the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan and it turns out beautifully.  Let it cook a little longer than given times.
  • If you don't have a pie plate, just use an 8x8 casserole dish or something similar sized
  • I left out celery because I've always been an ardent hater of it, but if you aren't an ardent hater, you should use it.

Sesame Mustard Tahini Sauce (picture on the Sunflower-Lentil Pie in the picture)

1/2c water (use more if you desire thinner consistency)
1/2c tahini
1/3c apple cider vinegar
1 small clove garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp honey alternative (I use agave)
3 Tbsp tamari (or Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 1/2-3 tsp toasted sesame oil (I just did 2tsp)
1/4-1/2tsp sea salt

Put all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth.  Season to taste with more of any ingredient.

The combination of the flavors between the dish and the sauce are just awesome.  The sauce has a hint of sweetness, lots of tang and is an awesome contrast to the Lentil-Sunflower Pie.  I think I have made the dish a total of 3-4 times since first trying it.  This is definitely a regular in our house now.


No comments:

Post a Comment