Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Smoky Cilantro White Bean Dip

Sweet potatoes are cooking in the oven, clothes are in the dryer, dishes are washed, Sonny is sleeping, which means it’s DIP TIME!
I had a good old time turning 2.5lbs of beans into tasty dips this morning during Charlie’s nap.  First on the list was the Smoky Cilantro White Bean Dip.  This recipe is actually one of my own, so I might secretly be hoping that someone other than my husband really likes it…maybe….
image
Here’s the recipe:
2 cans Great Northern Beans*
1/4c lemon juice
1 small handful each, fresh cilantro and Italian parsley
1/4-3/4tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle blend**
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
3 medium cloves garlic
1 tsp agave nectar (honey might work as well, or try it without sweetener)***
1 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp tahini
Thoroughly blend everything in a food processor, high powered blender like a Blendtec or Vita-mix, or regular blender.  Grab a spoon and enjoy!  Or serve with veggies, pita or chips for dipping.
(If you use a regular blender you may have to use more liquid to get it to blend well, and stop and scrape down sides more often.)
*Whenever I can plan ahead I like to use dried beans because they are cheaper.  1/2lb or a little over 1 cup of dried beans generally equals about 2 cans of beans
**The Mrs. Dash is what makes it hot, so if you aren’t a hot person, try just 1/4tsp first and work your way up
***I realize most people might not have agave nectar on their cupboard.  I added it because I wanted something to temper the savory-ness slightly, but if you don’t have agave nectar, try it without a sweetener and see if you like it.
Let me know if you try it and like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment