Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hummus Soup

I'm sure you all know by now my fascination and obsession with hummus.  Hummus is cheap and healthy, easy to make large quantities of, and most importantly, super tasty!

So imagine me when a friend passed on a recipe to me for hummus soup!! :-D  No way.  I of course had to try it.  I tried the recipe as was, and it was, I admit, less than stellar.  I thought how could that be possible given the inherent tastiness of hummus.  Then I realized the recipe just needed some tweaking (insert my hummus recipe here), and then BAM!  We had a super tasty soup that I could seriously eat every day, for a really long time before ever even considering getting tired of it.

I can't actually remember where the original recipe came from, so my apologies for lack of credit where credit is due.  But I did make some pretty serious alterations to it, so this version is my version. :)

As always, picture quality leaves a lot to be desired, as I am no photographer.  But it gives you an idea. :)


Tangy Hummus Soup!  (Because a soup like Tangy Hummus Soup must have an exclamation point with it)

5-6c veggie stock, depending on how thick you like your soup
2 batches of homemade hummus
1-3tsp of fresh garlic (I liked 3, William only liked 1 - compromise people)
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
1.5-2 tsp turmeric
1/2c cilantro (optional, but totally awesome)
1 onion chopped

Additional ingredients for a more hearty soup: potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, diced tomatoes

In a little bit of olive oil or broth, saute onions, garlic (and any additional ingredients you are using) until soft (don't have to be fully cooked).  Add rest of veggie broth and seasonings and let veggies cook until soft.  Stir in 2 batches of hummus, let cook for 5 minutes or so to let the flavors meld, and then serve with fresh chopped cilantro (if using).

This soup packs an incredible flavor punch and when paired with a crusty bread (which we don't do a lot of in this house), is Ah-MAZ-ing.  But then again I AM an extreme hummus fanatic.  

But I'm pretty sure if you love hummus and tons of flavor, you'll love this too.  :)  

If you try it let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment